ADD THE SLIDER CODE HERE

Wednesday 14 March 2012

Sweet Treats: Belgian Waffle with Strawberries


If like me you live in the UK the type of waffle you’re probably most familiar with is the potato variety from Birdseye. Belgian -sometimes referred to as ‘American Style’- waffles on the other hand are sweet, made from a pancake-like mix and absolutely delicious served with fruit, syrup or even ice cream. They’re one of my favourite deserts (or breakfasts if I’m feeling particularly decadent) and best of all they’re super quick and easy to make.

What I used   
~ 115g/4oz of plain flour
~ Tbsp of sugar
~ Tsp of baking powder
~ Pinch of salt
~ Two eggs separated
~ Splash of milk
~ A little olive oil
~ A handful of fresh strawberries
~ Maple syrup
~ Waffle iron

The hardest part of this recipe is actually finding a waffle iron! I bought mine several years ago from a German based company although you can now find them on Amazon or Ebay for around £30. Once you’ve tracked down an iron the rest is easy!

I started by pre-heating my waffle iron, using an oil spray to lightly coat the plates to stop the waffles from sticking. Next I combined all of the dry ingredients -flour, sugar, baking powder and salt- in one bowl. In another I mixed the egg yolks with the milk and about a tablespoon of oil. When I had a nice, even liquid I added it to the dry ingredients and mixed them together until I had a smooth and lump-free consistency.

Finally I whipped up the egg whites until they were light and fluffy and carefully folded them into the mix. Now the batter was ready I used a ladle to spoon a small amount onto the centre of the iron, closing the lid and letting it cook for 30 or 40 seconds. When my waffle was cooked I threw on some chopped strawberries and drizzled over a generous helping of maple syrup. Delicious!








No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...